Increase Active Living
Enabling volunteer led exercise programs
Our Health Promotion Officer supports volunteer led exercise groups across Mount Alexander, including Walking Groups, Nordic Pole Walking and Walking Tours, as well as Companion Walking for participants who require one-on-one support to walk. Visit our page on Exercise Groups to learn more about participating in these active living opportunities.
Social prescribing aims to reduce isolation and increase social connection for participants through increasing participation in community-based activities.
Get Connected is a Social Prescribing project being piloted in Mount Alexander Shire in 2023. Social prescribing aims to reduce isolation and increase social connection for participants through increasing participation in community-based activities.
Get Connected works with people living in Mount Alexander Shire who may be feeling they’d like to be more socially connected.
How does it work?
- GP or healthcare professional provides a referral to Get Connected, which is sent to a Community Connector volunteer.
- Following the referral, the Community Connector arranges a time to meet up.
- During the meeting with the Community Connector, interests and needs are discussed.
- The Community Connector provides some options to explore and offers any support needed to access the group or activity.
- The Community Connector provides follow up.
- If all is going well, Community Connector finalises communication unless further community connection is required.
Funding for a community connector is currently being sought so that this successful pilot project can be ongoing.
A new resource on social prescribing has been produced to assist with social prescribing into Dhelkaya Health exercise groups.
Learn more about social prescribing at the Castlemaine Community House website.
Didn’t find what you were
Why not get in touch?